People who are depressed need the help from other people. If they are left behind, they will be more suffering. The treatment can be various. As a family or a friend who has depressed relation, you need to take the person to some professional health care. For example, they can have Depression Psychotherapy. Psychotherapy for depressed people is very useful. It is perceived as the first and most recommended treatment for people who suffer from depression. It is often called as “therapy” for short. It is the therapy for depressed people that the psychotherapy has variety of treatment methods.
Psychotherapy depression treatment will involve two persons at least. The first person is the depressed one and the second one is the psychotherapist. The psychotherapist is usually a trained and licensed mental health professional that will help the depressed one to identify the cause of the depressions. Many experts believe that the factors or the causes of depression can be identified with Depression Psychotherapy since it will identify the combination of heredity and the imbalance of chemical aspects in the depressed person’s brain. Those things can trigger depression.
What Depression Psychotherapy Does to the Patient?
How does therapy help depression? There are several things that need to be identified by asking. Actually it is not asking, but it is like chatting. The professional health mental care will ask him or her to have conversation. By having that conversation, the psychotherapist will get information about:
- The emotions, ideas, and behaviors that may contribute to her or his depression.
- The reconstruction of ways of thinking from the depressed patient.
- Negative attributes and also the negative attitudes that the patient has about her or himself.
- The way she or he deals with faulty thinking which can affect depression.
- The life problems and also some events of life such as death of the family, major illness, mental or physical illness, divorce, losing job, etc, which can contribute a lot t the cause of depression. After that, it can be analyzed from what aspect the depression comes from. Maybe they cannot improve or solve the problem because those things are just too heavy to deal with.
The therapy for depression can be various. It can be individual, marital or in couple, group, or family. In individual Depression Psychotherapy, the therapy only has two persons, the therapist and the patient. They will talk. Usually, the patient will have the most comfortable situation, or place to sit or sleep. They will talk about everything. If it is in the marital or couple form, the therapist will have spouses. They will be helped by the therapist why their beloved one becomes depressed. It can be from the change of communication, or others.
In a group, there will be two, three, or even ten patients in the same time in the same place. There will be one therapist, but the therapist is not really active. What is happening in this therapy is that each patient will tell their story and experience, after that they will feel the same that other people also feel and experience the same things with them. Depression Psychotherapy with family will involve the family of the depressed one. It is important since family is the most important aspect in someone’s life.